Relish: A Safe Haven- Singapore

Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Safe Haven- Singapore


I enjoy the peace in my heart and i definitely treasure the peace we have in the country. Since its independence, Singapore has grown into one of the world's most prosperous nations. I often ask myself if i will eventually retire in Singapore or would i make somewhere else my home. Although i'm still in search of the answers, i greatly appreciate the politically safe climate here, the highly-developed free market economy and excellent business and public infrastructure. On top of that, being in the banking and financial sector, i recognize that the safe, pro-business environment, which is supported by a well-respected government with transparent and consistent policies, is key to drawing foreign investments and foreigners to stay in Singapore. Often meeting foreign expats and businessman alike, almost all, sing the same song; that Singapore is their first choice in Asia to live, work, study and play in because it is a conducive environment for the whole family. If you can't decide which country to move to, you can always check out the Global Peace Index to help you with your decision. I don't know about you, but it'll be my priority. We're ranked 29 out of 140 countries! With Iraq being the least peaceful and Iceland being the most, at number 1.

As the choreographed fireworks went off against the Singapore skyline, I couldn't help but stop in my tracks, instead of going around a corner for better video shots, just to watch the whole row of cute lil' ones chant adorably, "Fireworks! Fireworks! Fireworks!" with so much excitement in their voices. Haha. It was the highlight of my national day because it was a moment filled with pride- that children residing in this country are blessed with a vibrant and comfortable city to live in.

The love for Singapore!!

Having had an interesting experience in 1998 where my friends and i tried to get tickets hours and hours before the ticket booth were even open then. I told myself i'd only watch the National Day Parade (NDP) if someone could get me tickets. But till today, the balloting system is still not that much better. It is still so difficult to get my hands on one!! (Please call me if you have extra tix next year!!) And so, of course i wanted to be a part of the NDP, but just...diferently. Heh. We decided to have our annual festivities with French cuisine at Brasserie Wolf, this year instead. Having had a picnic 2 years ago, we celebrated by Singapore's river front while the 6 Black Knights greeted us with their deafening entrance and tight formation, and the visual treat from the fireworks..... which had everyone sharing in the celebratory spirit, as we raised our glasses, to being a Singaporean .


Being in the company of friends who give updates on current didn't-you-read-the papers news to sexually overcharged French oysters, i couldn't ask for more. To top it off, the night ended with a private session at the rooftop and in the pool room. Wait, lemme see. Maybe i could have expected a lil' more! That when my batteries had been emptied, maybe Lou and Sharon could have taken out the camera much much earlier!!??

Here are the photos for the excited ones! (Part 1- while i had my camera!)

P.S. Part 2- I'm still waiting for the addtional pictures, which will then lead to my site having 10,000 hits *wink* So send it to me quick!! =)

Unfortunately, the juicy ones weren't sent!! -Combined Photos


1 comment:

B said...

you need to make friends with the journalists with the press passes! <3