Relish: An Annual Affair

Monday, November 3, 2008

An Annual Affair

The Thai Barbarians (The Thais run real fassssst!!)
Competing for the Ablitt Cup- a trophy currently held by the SA Vipers from South Africa

I was so lookin forward to our annual affair, a rugby's league. Aside from the hard hits, tough players, vicious mauls, and of course, beer and the food, it always reminds me of the great memories why i love the game so much ;) This is the 4th event now, each and every one had a story to tell! However, this time around, instead of heading to the Singapore Stadium, we had tickets to Singapore Cricket Club (SCC).

61st International Sevens (SCC)
Rugby spectators are always spontaneous & fun

I was pining for the few weeks running up to this - for the ALL DAY LONG happy hour prices, the variety of food and beverage stalls we will find, the world-class athletes charging at each other in the fast-paced 15-minute-per-match format of sevens competition and the celebratory tunes which sets everyone in the party mood!!!

I love the carnival-like atmosphere with the fantastic backdrop!

I wouldn't pass this carnival-like atmosphere for anything! With good sportsmanship, sporting action, food (& beer!), great fun (it's outdoors and there's the sun.but at least i don't get tan) and great company (yesss, it's so difficult to date my celebrity friend, Ms Wong Siew Ying!), i couldn't ask for more of a weekend :)

Furthermore, it's held at SCC! It brings back wonderful childhood memories of how my whole family would make it a weekly affair to go to the club for lunch after church/ grocery shopping. I always remember this image of my mom and i in the changing room (which we go to every time after a meal), to weigh ourselves, never fails to crack me up! I've had so many significant moments there. There was one time when my parents called me on the phone and they said they wanted to talk. I was thinkin oh-oh... And so we had a chat by the veranda. I still remember i made sure to wear my sunnies so they wouldn't be able to see my eyes when i was talkin to them! (It was during the period when i was a rebel!). And there was another time when my dad offered me a beer cus i had a sore throat (i was barely 14, i think!). And from then, i was hooked!! Of course my favorite lunch set to order was chicken chop with french fries. Hey, it's every lil kid's 'weekend' meal!

Rugby Tradition- always a prank
Kids from all directions ran and stole the sheep from the girls who committedly gave chase!
Always a look-out for at every game!

I had a sweeeet time!
And i'm lookin forward to yet again, the next game.

Just in case you might wana buy your tickets for next year's Sevens, here's a peek at how you will have it too- pictures!

As always, there's an adventure whenever one's with me- we headed to vicki's party and surprised her for her birthday! =) By the time i got to the gathering for the barbeque, i was a happy gal! And even happier when my boss shared his good wine and we had lots of it flowing, with heartwarming bonding and food!!



No comments: